Friday, May 25, 2007

McNay Art Museum

My church calling is Activity Day Leader which means that I am in charge of planning activities for 8-11 year old girls in order for them to achieve a Faith in God award. Some of the goals are in the areas of serving others and developing talents, along with other focal areas. I wanted to talk a little about an activity that we had recently to fulfill a developing talents goal. We took a group of 11 girls to the McNay Art Museum in San Antonio, TX.

I was pleasantly surprised at what a wonderful collection they had. Among some of the artists that we viewed were Picasso, Gaugin, Cezanne, Matisse, Manet, Renoir, and even one of Monet's water lilies painting. It was fantastic. I have been to the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C. and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York which are phenomenal museums, but I wasn't expecting such works of art in San Antonio. So, that was a great surprise. It really is a great museum.

It was so fun to be able to go with the girls. They enjoyed it and were very good at answering some of the docent's questions. The girls were so well-behaved and seemed to enjoy it. It was a wonderful treat for me because I have lived in San Antonio for 4 years and have been wanting to go there, but with three little boys, when would I go?

What a fantastic calling I have that I get to take fun girls to an art museum. I love Activity Day!

No comments: