Monday, June 11, 2007

I might have overreacted

Last night, around 11:00 I was on the computer when I heard a knock on the door. At 11:00 that's a little scary, especially given the fact that my husband was not home. We're so cheap, we don't have cable or a security system. My husband is a huge baseball fan and you can't watch much baseball without cable. So, once in a while, he'll go to my parents' house 5 minutes away after the kids have gone to sleep to watch a few hours of baseball. They don't mind; they have 2 TV's. And, I don't mind because that means I get to use the computer with Internet. If he was here, he'd be checking the baseball scores, and I would have to do something else like edit my manuscript on the non-Internet $4 thrift store computer. (but that is something that I'm avoiding right now, editing that is.) I'd much rather be on the Internet computer reading my favorite blogs- Writers In Heels, Six LDS Writers and a Frog and LDS publisher.

Anyway, I'm digressing. The knock on the door really scared me. Of course, I didn't answer it. Instead I went to the window and peeked out. There was a strange (and by strange, I mean someone I don't know) man talking on a cell phone and a white van parked in my driveway. I could hear him say only a few things-- approximate location of where he was and that he was running out of gas. I thought maybe he knocked on my door to use the phone since he was running out of gas. No, duh! He had a cell phone. So, why is he knocking on my door? I was a little freaked out, by the way. So, I called my parents' house and non-chalantly asked my dad to get my husband. I couldn't tell my dad because he would think I should never ever be left alone in the house again. Once my husband got on the phone, I told him what was going on. He thought I should call the police and he would be home right away.

I dialed 911, and felt a little foolish. After all, he was not posing immediate harm. But, why was he outside my house? What did he want? So, I called 911. I think that's the only time I've ever had to do that. Anyway, by the time the police and my husband came home, the man had left. The police think he may have had the wrong house. My poor husband feels incredibly guilty for not being home. And, I'm left thinking: Did I overreact? Did I really have to call 911? I think it's better to be safe than sorry, but I've also watched too many Lifetime movies, so I tend to panic about things. For that reason, it's probably a good thing I don't have cable anymore.

I do feel a little bad about not telling my parents, but why make them worry? (I guess it's good they don't really read my blog) But, now my dad thinks I called over there to tell my husband to come home because he was staying out too late, which I so wasn't. The poor guy never goes anywhere at night, unless you count home teaching, elders quorum presidency meetings, or to watch an occasional baseball game at my parents' house. So, now that leaves me thinking, should we get cable or a security system? Probably, neither one for now.

No comments: