Friday, June 8, 2007

Where have the voices inside my head gone?

I've been dealing with a bit of writer's block for a few years now. It all started with the 2004 election. I can't believe it's already the next presidential election. Anyway, I was hooked on CNN for several months, following every comment and detail about the election. So, instead of writing at night like I had been doing, I was watching TV. Then, I became pregnant with my son, so instead of writing at night, I was falling asleep on the couch. Well, then he was born so of course, there goes writing. Well, now there's no election (although it feels like there is) It wouldn't matter anyway because we don't have cable. We only have antenna now, so I can't watch CNN. And, I'm not pregnant, so I should be writing, but I'm not.

Basically, there are no more excuses, but I still am struggling with writing. I haven't written anything new for quite some time. I have been editing a lot lately. Prior to my writer's block which begun in 2004, I had these incredible voices in my head making me want to write more than anything. They weren't actual voices, by the way. Just wonderful ideas and dialogue going through my head throughout the entire day. I would collect them in my mind as the day passed and as soon as the kids had gone to bed, I would sit at the computer for hours typing away. There wasn't enough time in the day to write. I was overflowing. Well, now the voices are gone, the ideas are gone. There is no dialogue. Thankfully, I had written so much during that year of the voices. So, now I have been left with a lot to edit.

I still struggle to get to the computer. I can't blame it on the election or a pregnancy or a baby. I am trying to get to the computer at least 45 minutes every night to edit. I'm on page 27 of my sequel- One On One. If I can edit a few pages a night, then I should finish in a few months. At the very least, before the election. Who knows we might have cable by then.

1 comment:

Tristi Pinkston said...

The voices will come back -- I promise! I think our brains go through phases and they need recouping time every so often. Then they come back stronger than ever. Right now mine have Brooklyn accents -- and I don't know why!