Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Cubicle Next Door


The Cubicle Next Door is by Siri Mitchell and might be considered Christian Chick-Lit. This is a book that I've been looking forward to reading for a while, but was quite disappointed. It seemed like it would be such a fun book to read, but it was very slow and hard to get into. I thought about not finishing it several times, but I kept hoping it would get better. It didn't really. I did manage to finish it.

It had such a cute premise. Jackie, the main character is very likeable. She does not want to date or have a relationship at all. Joe begins to share the cubicle next to hers and she finds him annoying, but at the same time charming. She blogs about him and how she doesn't like him, but at the same time likes him. They start going everywhere together, even looking for a good church to go to. They go out to lunch, he shows up at her house, where she works on weekends. She's rude to him, but he keeps coming back.

It was very slow. Over a page on how to wax cross country skis. A few of Mitchell's writing techniques were annoying. She did not use the terms "he said" or "she said." Instead, there would be lengths of dialog, and I didn't know who was talking, so I had to go back in the page to find out. Also, sometimes she wouldn't use a subject in her sentences. For instance, she did this a lot: "He tried them on. Stood up. Walked a few paces." Once in a while, it was okay, but after a while, it got annoying.

So, I stuck it out until the end. The ending was good, but I don't know if it was quite worth it. It was very clean, so that was a good point. It would have been a good story if it was about 100 pages shorter. There were too many day-to-day details explained too fully. I had another one of Mitchell's books on my summer reading list, but I think I will skip it.

3 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

That's too bad, Marcia -- but I have some really excellent Christian authors for you to try. Dee Henderson, Terri Blackstock, Lynn Austin, and Karen Kingsbury are my favorites, in that order, too.

Marcia Mickelson said...

Thanks, Tristi. I haven't read any of those authors. I'll give them a look.

Amy said...

Have you read any Kristin Billerbeck?