Sunday, August 12, 2007

Six Flags

We're not a theme-park kind of family, but my husband's work sponsored a family outing at Six Flags Fiesta Texas theme park. We all got in for free and they even paid for parking ($12! How can you charge $12 for parking? It's not like it's New York City or anything!) We had a catered lunch and were given a free-refillable drink bottle that usually costs $12. We refilled that thing so many times for free. It was great. So, of course we went. The food was great- bar-b-que brisket and grilled chicken and hot dogs for the kids. It was a Saturday, so the park was full. We stood in line for over 20 minutes just to get in. And, did I mention it was over 90 degrees. Very hot!

We had a lot of fun. However, some of the rides were down and we stood in line for over 50 minutes on a few rides. The Gully washer was a lot of fun. My 5 year old's favorite was the train. The whole day, he kept asking. "where's the train?" They have a water park too which I think we all enjoyed the most as we were able to cool down a bit. We had anticipated renting a locker so I brought a handful of quarters which we didn't use. Lockers were $13 and took credit cards, not coins. I don't think I had $13 worth of quarters anyway.

The water rides were packed as well. We stood in line for over 30 minutes for the Texas Tumble which was quite a thrill. The bad part of it was listening to my 5 year old complain the whole time that he didn't want to ride it. It did look a little scary. He even double checked to see if he was to short to ride it. Unfortunately for him, he was tall enough. Quite a disappointment to him. He screamed the whole way down, but the rest of us really enjoyed it. So despite, the heat and long lines, we really did have a fun time. It's the first time my kids have been to a theme park. It's not our thing; it's just to expensive and I can't usually justify the expense. But, you can't beat a free outing. All we spent was the $13 for the locker and $4 for cotton candy that my 5 year old really wanted. It was the least I could do for making him wait in a long line for a scary ride he didn't want to do. Also, it's the first time he's ever had cotton candy. I really do deprive my kids, don't I? Five years old and has never had cotton candy. What kind of mom am I?

So, theme parks are okay, I guess. It was a lot of fun, but not if you have to pay for it. I don't think we'll ever make it to Disney or anything like that. My poor kids! It just seems like too much trouble and money. Maybe we'll try Sea World next. We've lived in San Antonio for over 4 years and have never gone. Man, I do deprive my kids.

Maybe next year, my husband's work will treat us all again. That would be fun!

2 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

There are lots of things my kids have never had . . . no bad mom guilt, Marcia!! :)

Candace Salima (LDS Nora Roberts) said...

Marcia, sounds like you had a blast and even better, it was free.

I'm with you on amusement parks, they just cost WAY too much money.