Friday, December 14, 2007

10 Random Things About Me

Annette Lyon tagged me for this meme to say 10 random things about me.



1. I was born in Guatemala and came to the U.S. when I was about three months old.


2. I only spoke Spanish until I went to Kindergarten where I learned English. Now, my English is much better than my Spanish. My sister and I polished our English by watching way too many soap operas when we were little. By the time I was 8, I had a pretty good vocabulary, but they were words like blackmail and affair.


3. Speaking of soap operas, my sister and I were obsessed with Santa Barbara, the soap opera. We would tape it every day. I still have boxes of old VHS tapes in my attic. I am proud to say it's been over 2 years since I've watched any of them. I cried for days when my favorite character, Mary, was killed off of Santa Barbara.

4. Okay, we were really obsessed. We would write down the lines and act out some of the scenes. Our favorites were when there was a lot of yelling, slapping, or throwing drinks at each other.

5. My husband likes Mitt Romney. I like Barack Obama. I don't think we'll have any bumper stickers on our car or lawn signs in our yard.

6. My husband and I met at a BYU dance when my friend and his friend started talking and dancing together. We still keep in contact with both of those friends. They're great friends of ours. Without them, my husband and I would have never met. Our friends only went on one date. No love connection there. They are each happily married to someone else.


7. My husband and I have been married for 13 years.


8. I love making train layouts with my boys. Right now, my favorite is Geo Trax. But I also love the wooden Thomas tracks. In fact, we often have train layouts in our living room for 2-3 days straight.


9. I've never read any of the Harry Potter books or seen the movies. I don't like fantasy. If my kids wanted to watch one of the movies, I'd watch with them, but not on my own. No interest.


10. My husband proposed to me at a Salt Lake Buzz baseball game. They put it on the scoreboard and announced it over the loudspeaker. It was so cool! I wasn't expecting it at all.

I'll tag:

Marsha Ward
Don
Anne Bradshaw

7 comments:

JerBear & Co. said...

That was fun to read, Marcia. Some of those things I knew (for obvious reasons), and some I didn't. Thanks for sharing! :-) Tami

P.S. Really 13 years? What day is your anniversary? Wow! I can't believe you've been married as long as my brother (you remember Chris?!), whose 13th ann. is next week. They have an 11-year-old.
I'm glad it all worked out! ;-)

Marcia Mickelson said...

Hi Tami. Our anniversary is July 21. I can't beleive it goes by so fast. If we hadn't waited 5 years to have kids, we'd have a teenager right now. Yikes! (BTW Tami is my friend who went with me to the BYU dance and helped me meet my sweetheart) Thanks, Tami! I owe you big!

JerBear & Co. said...

You're welcome! Yeah, I really did so much. All I did was get you to a dance with me. Meeting Cary (sp?) was just by chance. You and Nolan did the rest. But I guess it's kind of fun being given credit for being the assist-meister! :-) Tami

Don said...

These are fun, Marcia. I've done my duty and come up with 10 things about me.

Holly said...

Thanks for stopping by my book blog! I remember watching Santa Barbara too. I wasn't obsessed, but I watched it occasionally.

Josi said...

That's so fun--I'm actually reading up on Guatimala right now, it's part of one finished book and another one I'm working on. My dad served his mission there back in 66-68, I was raised with a great love for the culture and people. I tried to check out your blog last night and it was all messed up but it's better now.

And I tagged you before I realized you were just tagged--sorry.

Linda Adams said...

How fun!
Although, if you have utterly NO interest in Harry Potter, you must be 100% Muggle.

LOL.
Wandering in from Tristi's Challenge!