Monday, January 28, 2008

Book of A Thousand Days


As a member of LDStorymakers, I will get to vote for the Whitney Awards that will be presented in March. So, I am stepping up on my reading because I have only read a few of the nominated books.


I just finished reading Shannon Hale's Book of A Thousand Days. I'm not much of a Young Adult reader, but I have to say I simply loved this book. I had read Hale's Austenland and absolutely loved it. I hadn't read any of her YA books before. If her other books are as good as Book of A Thousand Days, I am sure I'll be reading them soon as well. Only, they will have to wait until after the Whitney Awards.


Book of A Thousand Days is about Dashti, the maid of Lady Saren. It is written from Dashti's point of view in a diary format. Dashti and Lady Saren are locked up in a tower for 7 years when Lady Saren refuses to marry the man her father has selected. It is loosely based on a Grimm's fairy tale.


Food begins to run low for them, rats infiltrate their tower, and they are visited by Lady Saren's two suitors. One of them is dangerous and villainous. I really enjoyed the character of Dashti. She is strong, courageous, and loyal. I highly recommend this book to all. I also enjoyed Shannon Hale's website where you can learn more about this novel. She gives great tidbits about the book.


Okay, on to the next Whitney nominated book. I'm not going to read Janette Rallison's How to Take the Ex out of Ex-Boyfriend, another YA book.

7 comments:

Holly said...

I loved Austenland, so I'm definitely adding this one to my reading list. Thanks for the recommendation.

Janette Rallison said...

You're not going to read it?

Marcia Mickelson said...

Holly-you will enjoy it. Janette-that was so much a typo. It's supposed to say, I'm now going to read...That sounds bad, doesn't it. Sorry. Actually, I'm reading it right now and have about 80 pages left. I'm loving it. A very funny and enjoyable book. In fact, I'm now going to go finish it.

Janette Rallison said...

I am queen of the typos myself! Hope you like the book!

Rebecca Talley said...

Shannon Hale's "Princess Academy" is a great book, too.

Sounds like a lot of fun, reading the nominated books.

Will you be at the conference?

Josi said...

This is the first review I've read for this book, sounds great. I'll be getting it to it ...some time. Like you I'm trying to read all the Whitney's.

alisonwonderland said...

both of my daughters (17yo and 12yo) loved this book. it's on my to-read list ... hopefully i'll get to it sometime soon!