Saturday, February 2, 2008

Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George



Okay, I've never been a fan of fantasy. I've never even seen a Harry Potter movie, much less read one of the books. However, I just finished a book that may change all that. Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George is a fantastic book.

I loved the first line--"It was my aunt who decided to give me to the dragon." The main character is Creel, and her aunt decides to sacrifice her to a dragon in hopes of Creel being rescued by a knight who will marry her. Instead, Creel becomes friends with the dragon and with a couple of other dragons. One of the dragon gives her a pair of slippers. With the slippers on her feet, she travels to King's Seat in hopes of becoming a dressmaker. She doesn't know about the power behind the slippers.

I loved Creel. She is courageous, fiesty, loyal, and kind. I highly recommend this young adult novel. It is a wonderful reading adventure. And, I think I might just like fantasy novels after all. The sequel comes out in May! Maybe one of these days, I'll give that kid named Harry a try. Who knows, I might like it as well.

4 comments:

alisonwonderland said...

i hadn't heard of this one. i've definitely got to recommend it to my 12yo daughter, who is a huge dragon fan. i enjoy some fantasy, so maybe i'll give it a try too.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Hey there,

I'm rounding up final word counts from the BIAM. How much were you able to get done, with all that busyness in your life these days?

Tristi Pinkston said...

Okay, I just started this and am really enjoying it, too.

Marsha Ward said...

Good review, Marcia. I've given you the "you make my day" award over on Writer in the Pines. Go pick it up!