Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Medal or Metal

My son's school had a spelling bee today. He's in second grade, and this is his first spelling bee. He won the class spelling bee last week, and today he was competing against 8 other kids to win the school spelling bee and to compete in the city-wide Hockey spelling bee, sponsored by the local hockey team.

I felt so nervous for the kids, and I didn't want any of them to miss. The first girl to get out almost cried, and I felt so badly for her. I think she got confused with the word "use" and started spelling you.

When they were down to three boys, my son got the word metal. The librarian who was conducting the spelling bee said a sentence with each word. So, with metal, she said something about being made of metal. I can't remember the exact sentence. I think my son heard "medal" and perhaps without giving the sentence too much importance, spelled "medal" instead of "metal."

So, he was out. I felt bad for him because he knew how to spell the word, but got confused with which one. The next boy had a similar situation. His word was "cell" and she said a sentence about looking at a cell under a microscope. He spelled "sell," and was out. Ouch.

So, my son got a ribbon for 3rd place and seemed fine with it. I'm very proud of him for that. (He won the pinewood derby for Cub Scouts this weekend, so you can't win them all.)

4 comments:

Holly said...

Congratulations for 3rd! And the pinewood derby is huge.

Tamster said...

I had a similar thing happen to me when I was in elementary school. I was supposed to spell barren, and I spelled baron (only for me, baron was the only kind I knew; I didn't even know the word barren, I don't think). I was so frustrated because I spelled the word right, just the wrong word. They didn't automatically give you a sentence; you had to ask for one, but because I didn't know there was a different word sounding the same I didn't even think to ask for a sentence or definition or anything.
As you can see, I'm still not over this since I still remember the word and everything. So don't worry; he'll just be scarred for life over this! ;-) JK
Actually 3rd is pretty good. And that's great he won the pinewood derby! Good deal! :-)

Amanda said...

I think we all have spelling bee horror stories. I was in one in fifth grade and did really well until I got to the word dumbbell. My mind went totally blank. I don't know if I actually knew how to spell it, but I started with a 'd' and then went into something totally random like 'g.' For no reason. Because my brain couldn't think. It felt really weird, and I'm sure everyone was looking at me like an alien, haha! I don't think I placed. I hope Omar is happy about his medal. ;)

Marcia Mickelson said...

Thankfully, I don't think he'll be scarred. He was actually okay with it, even a little unfazed by it. He was pretty unfazed when he won the pinewood derby too. That's just his personality.