Thursday, March 20, 2008

3 Planes, 3 Airlines, and 2 Bags

Well, I made it Salt Lake yesterday. It was not easy, though. My flight arrangements weren't the most sensible. I took a flight from San Antonio to Phoneix on US Airways. Then in Phonenix, I had to change terminals, go through security again and board a United flight to Denver. In Denver, I had to change terminals again, thankfully not go through security again and board a Frontier flight to Salt Lake.

Once in Salt Lake, I watched the baggage carousel circle about a thousand times before I gave in to the sinking feeling that my bags did not make it. How could I expect my bags to be here after 3 airlines and 3 airplanes? So, I filled out the paperwork and told the airline to only deliver them before 10:00 PM because I'm staying with my brother and sister-in-law who have two little ones and I don't want them ringing the doorbell in the middle of the night. I told Frontier I would just pick them up in the morning.

So, of course at 2:48 am I get a phone call. Thank goodness for cell phones. They were right outside of the house with my bags. I'm grateful they didn't ring the doorbell. And, how could I be mad at the guy when he had my bags. I was very happy that I had my bags, the others in the house hadn't been disturbed, and for some reason, their alarm didn't go off when I opened the door. I did find out a few minutes later that they had called home first, so my husband got a little wake-up call in San Antonio, only there it was 3:48 am.

I'm just so happy to have my bags this morning.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow, what an experience! I've thankfully never lost my bags before, but I imagine that's really terrifying. I'm so glad you got them back. Have fun at your conference!

Tamster said...

What a crazy day for you! And how frustrating! I've heard the suggestion before that you should always have a change of clothes and other necessities in a carry-on just in case this kind of thing happens. However, with security these days, it's easier to just pack all of the "other necessities" into your checked baggage so you don't have to deal with size limitations and what you have with you and all that at security. I guess you could still have a change of clothes in your carry-on. In any case, I'm glad you made it their safely, even if it wasn't soundly! ;-)
Enjoy your conference and book signings. Oh, yeah! How did the one today go? :-)

julie or hopie said...

I've been wondering about you. I'm glad to hear you made it safely but I'm sorry to hear about your bags. I lost my baggage once but it probably doesn't count because I was headed home. Even though I still wanted my stuff, I didn't need it. They did find and return it to me also.
I hope you have a good time at your conference and book signings. I'll be looking forward to hearing all about it. ~Julie

julie or hopie said...

I'm so excited for you to be there on a "real" vacation for a "Mom." I understand how far and few between they are. I have a famous friend because I just saw your picture on http://whitneyawards.blogspot.com/
with the caption "waiting to get in" and you look so happy. I'm so glad you are having a great time!
FYI, your boys looked like they had a great time at the ward's Easter Egg hunt this a.m. One of them won an award for the coloring contest - I'm sorry I can't remember exactly who now but they'll tell you when you get home, I'm sure. As for now, have fun being there in person as I will reading the blog. ~Julie

Julie Wright said...

marcia it was great to get to finally meet you!!!!