Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Phone Phobia

I have a major phone phobia; not so much getting phone calls, but making them. I hate, detest, abhor making phone calls, especially to people I don't know. Ironically, many of my past jobs and church callings have involved making phone calls. I hated it then, but some things have to be done.

In high school, I worked at a chiropractor's office and every Monday, I had to to the dreaded contact list. It was a list of all the people who weren't scheduled that week. I had to call them all, leave messages, and try to schedule them. By Wednesday, they all had to have been called twice. I hated the contact list! I later moved up to front desk and had to write up the contact list. I always felt guilty handing over that list to the new person who did the calling. I still had my share of calls to make-- all the people who missed their appointments which was a lot.

After college, I worked for a non-profit running a foster care program. That involved tons of phone calls to foster parents to remind them of training, set up appointments, see how the kids were doing, deal with problems; case managers to report how the kids were doing and to set up placements. Lots of phone calls!

As the secretary of the stake Young Women, I made a lot of calls. As a Primary president, I had to call teachers, parents, bishopric members. Reminder phone calls--lots of reminder phone calls. I hate reminder phone calls. Just remember!

I just love e-mail now--it's my preferred method of communication. I really avoid using the phone.

Well, today I made a lot of phone calls. I had volunteered to call voters in my county to remind them to vote in the Texas primary today. It's important, so I put my phone phobia aside and made the calls. It was better than going door-to-door which I hate even more. It actually wasn't too bad, since I mostly left messages. Not a lot of people home at 10:30 AM. I don't mind leaving messages so much since I don't actually have to talk to the person. The reminder was for them to vote and to attend caucus after the vote. In Texas, we have a primary and a caucus--it's complicated. Two-thirds of the delegates are chosen from the primary election and one-third is chosen from the caucus. So, both voting and attending the caucus are important. I still haven't decided if I'm going to the caucus tonight. I want to, but if I do, it will be with 3 kids in tow. We'll see...

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I have extremely bad phone phobia at times as well, and it seems to vary. Some times I can suck it up and make the calls, at others I can't even call friends or doctors or anyone.

I can't caucus tonight. I didn't realize it was worth as much as it was, and I told them I wasn't interested when they asked during early voting. Now it's too late for both me and Jason to go (three kids in tow when it's near bedtime does not sound inviting), and I'm not even sure where our caucus location would be. Ah well. I did vote! :)

Marcia Mickelson said...

I didn't end up going either. Ruben refused to nap today so he was extremely tired and Omar was home sick. I drove by the school where the caucus was, and there was a lot of people. The kids were too tired and I was not in the mood to deal with 3 tired kids so we just went home and I put them all to bed.

Tamster said...

I didn't know about the caucus thing. I voted, though I don't think it really made a difference in the Republican race. Is the caucus thing you were talking about for Rep. too or just Dem.?
I think you made a wise choice putting the kids in bed instead. I wouldn't have wanted to deal with three tired kids at something like that either. Bed is better! :-)
Oh, and hey, CALL ME! Hehehehhee! ;-)