Sunday, May 18, 2008

Marketing to Kids

I'm really frustrated with advertising and movies these days. There are so many movies that are PG-13 and are being marketed to kids. It's driving me crazy. My kids don't watch PG-13 movies yet; they're still too little. However, they see all the toys being offered in kids meals at restaurants and want to see the movies. Well, one of them does anyway. The 6 year old still thinks they look scary.

My 8 year old even asked me the other day: "Why do they have toys for kids if the movie is PG-13?" I wonder the same thing. We went to Burger King the other day where they have Indiana Jones toys, and so my son wants to watch the movie, but it's PG 13. Then there's Transformers, Spiderman, the Simpsons, Star Wars, Pirates of the Carribean, Superman Returns... I could go on and on...

I have no issue with how the movie is rated. My problem is with the toys, clothes, books that are geared to young children, even toddlers. Am I alone in being frustrated by this?

4 comments:

Amanda said...

You know, I never really thought about it before. We don't usually get toys like that in general, so it doesn't often come up, and things like spiderman, my kids have read in little books (not comics), sometimes at school, sometimes those level 1 or 2 readers from Walmart, etc. With those sorts of toys and items, I try to encourage them to make up their own games. I always felt toys like that detracted from creativity.

But yeah, it's strange that it's marketed that way. I guess what's strange to me is that they are making kids movies that are pg-13.

Lisa @ Corporate Babysitter said...

You are certainly not alone. The Campaign for a Commerical-Free Childhood has lots to say about PG-13 movie toys being given away to three-year-olds.

See http://www.commercialexploitation.org/pressreleases/pg13.htm

Stephanie Humphreys said...

This has bothered me for a long time. Luckily, my kids have grown out of that for the most part.

Tamster said...

You are most definitely not alone! I've also been annoyed at movies being portrayed as kid movies when they are really not for kids. I also don't like when you watch a movie and the previews are for movies that have higher ratings; for example, you are watching a PG movie, but there are previews for PG13 and R movies. I've always felt like they should only preview movies rated the same or lower than the one you are watching--partially for kids because they shouldn't be exposed to it and partially because I don't want to get interested in something that I know I wouldn't want to watch because it's R.
But back to your concern, I have thought before that they shouldn't be marketing to kids stuff that's not their age-level. I'm annoyed by all the junk they've been putting in movies lately anyway, but it's especially frustrating when it is something that should be a good, family film, and they ruin it with stuff I wouldn't want my kid to see. Well, anyway...

Thanks for sharing your concern and giving others of us a place to vent! :-)