Friday, July 25, 2008

Submitted!!!!

Yesterday, I went to the post office and mailed off my finished manuscript- One On One- to my publisher. Now, comes the waiting. I'm so glad to be done with it. It has been an ongoing thing for almost 4 years. And, it's been finished since November, so editing took me oh, 8 months, but I do have a move in there to account for some of that time. It feels so good to be done because I was just sick of it in the end. I didn't want to look at the thing anymore, and now it's out of my hands--Yay!

I've been working on it like crazy this month. The day I was finishing it up, I told my 5 year old that I was almost done with my book. He said, "Good. Now you can spend time with your family." Wow, I hadn't realized how much time I was devoting to it. I usually only write at night when the kids are in bed or during naptime, but only if it's during the school year and the other two are not here. So, they've never actually seen how much time I spend writing because they're either asleep or not here.

This is the first time I've really written with them awake and around. I think it's because I was editing and don't need quite as much concentration as writing. Now, I'm going back to my old writing schedule--at night. And, when school starts, I might use naptime to write as well.

A few Thank You's:

First, I need to thank Tristi Pinkston for BIAM. I would never have devoted so much time this month to finishing the edit without her challenge. I am not as self-motivated and really needed the challenge to commit to getting it done. Thanks.

A huge thanks to Amanda for spending so much time editing. That was such a hugely thorough edit and helped me so much. She had great suggestions and gave honest feedback.

I need to thank my sister, Claudia, for a very, very honest edit. "Blah, blah, blah" was not an uncommon comment. And, "we already know that!" She is very honest in her edits, and I needed that. She pointed out so many weak writing parts--too much telling. I hate showing! It's so hard.

Thanks to my husband, Nolan, for the support and for reading through my manuscript. He was my expert on this one because basketball is a huge theme, and he easily pointed out things that I had gotten wrong. No quarters, only halves in college basketball, in case you were wondering.

Thank you to Kay for reading four of my novels and being a believer from the beginning. Also, thanks to her for not being afraid to be honest about what she liked and didn't like.

Thanks to my awesome kids for putting up with seeing my back while I sat at the computer all month. I kept saying, "I really have to finish this thing." They've been so good and have not complained about me letting them watch so many videos and DVD'S this month.

I'm sure that there are many others I have to thank as well.

I just feel so free right now. I'm actually reading a book and happily anticipating August 2 when I will get my pre-ordered copy of Breaking Dawn!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Congrats Marcia and I'm really glad I could help. Can't wait to see the final copy!

Tristi Pinkston said...

You are very welcome! I know I do better when I have a cheering section -- that's why I started the BIAMs.

Karlene said...

Wahoo! It's time to celebrate.

And I think Breaking Dawn is a perfect celebratory treat. :)

Jason Gignac said...

Congrats, Marcia! I hope it has a red-toned cover, so it looks nice on the shelf beside the other two Mickelson Classics here... :)

Tamra Norton said...

Congratulations! What a great feeling!!!

And YAY for August 2nd, and Breaking Dawn! :)

Queen of Chaos said...

Oh, good luck! How exciting and nerve wraking at the same time.

I can't wait to read what happens...