Thursday, August 21, 2008

School Clothes Shopping

We just moved to a new city and a new school. The dress code in our new school is so strict. They can only wear solid colored shirts that are navy blue, white, grey, purple, pink, or teal. That sounds almost like a uniform to me. They can wear shorts or jeans, so that least that is good. I really don't like such a strict dress code. I understand why you'd want to ban certain items, but that is too extreme.

Neither of my boys had any shirts that abide by that dress code. They have a lot of striped shirts, but they can't wear striped. So, we had to do some major clothes shopping. Luckily, Academy, a sports apparel store was loaded with uniform-type clothes that fit into the dress code. They were decently-priced, only $5.99, and we took advantage of the tax-free weekend in Texas to buy their clothes, so we shopped well.

They're all set to start school on Monday.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I agree with you 100% - I don't like public school uniforms. I'm glad you found a good sale.

Jason Gignac said...

No, no! This is the chance to teach your kids Ghandi style social activism! Send them to school in a Polka dot shirt, tell them when the teacher asks, to say they're stickin' it to the man...

Josi said...

I have to totally disagree--I pined for a dress code when I was in school--probably the only student that wanted one--and I still long for it. I love the idea of trying to equalize the students and keep them up to certain standards. I feel your pain about buying more clothes, but honestly I'd love to trade places.

Julie said...

My children have a dress code this year too. They have to wear polo shirts - solid colors only. I think the middle school might be able to wear striped now as well. So, I understand your pain in shopping because I really don't like shopping. We did get some at Academy and at the Thrift store. Hopie opted to buy a few shirts at the mall with her own money. So far, I think we're set.
I have mixed feelings about the dress code. In some ways, I'm going to like it because it will be so much easier for me with my older children. No more fights about what to wear. In another way, I liked seeing people's individuality of how they dressed when I was a kid but I did long for what they had sometimes.

Runyan Gang said...

With 4 girls, I wish we had uniforms. It would make shopping for clothes so much easier. Plus, I think clothing can distract from the learning process. I'm mostly thinking of designer clothing and immodest clothing and the ridiculous baggy pants boys are wearing. Last year, when I would drop my middle schooler off, I was shocked by all the girls carrying around their Abercrombie & Fitch shopping bags to hold their backback overflow. What a joke!!! The whole clothing issue definitely played a part in our decision to homeschool Kendall.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Our kids used to attend an academy with a uniform code. I found that old navy and jc penny had good deals on shirts and pants. There's also an online store called French Toast that has cute uniforms, but I remember they were a little pricey.

After going from a school with a dress code to another school with no dress code, I have to say I really liked the dress code. I was shocked how clicky girls get - even starting in Kindergarten! (What? You don't have a High School Musical shirt? You are such a baby!) I seriously heard one Kindergartner say this to a class mate. So yeah, in my book, dress codes rule!