Thursday, October 23, 2008

Naming Your Baby Part 2

Last year, I blogged about giving your book a title. At that time, I had named my book Reasonable Doubt. That title was too common and my publisher wanted me to think of some different ones. After coming up with several other titles (none of them very good), they decided to let me keep Reasonable Doubt. I was so happy. It always seemed like the perfect title for the book.

Now, I'm finding the same challenge. My next book comes out in May 2009 and I had named it One On One. It's actually been called One On One for almost 3 years when I first started writing it. It's so hard to imagine it being named something else because that's what I've known it as since it was born.

However, it is a very common term, so my publisher has once again asked me to think of additional titles. So, I'm thinking...

The book is about basketball. Basketball is a huge theme throughout the book, and the term one on one goes right along with it. This book is a spin-off of Reasonable Doubt, taking place 5 years later and tells the story of Mick Webber. He was the college basketball player who was arrested for the murder of his fiancee in Reasonable Doubt. In this new book, he is one of the anchors of a college basketball show called One On One, hence the name of the book. Also, he has some initial sparring with his co-anchor, Cara, and they eventually face off in a game of one-on-one.

Even though the title seems so perfect for this book, it's time to think of a new one. I really can't think of anything else right now. Still thinking...

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Hrm...wish I could help Marcia, but One On One really does seem so perfect, and I've known the mss by that name for a year so it'd be hard to think of something else. That's got to kill you! I can't imagine having to change a title like that...

Danyelle Ferguson said...

I'm terrible at naming books. My only suggestion would be to see if you can come up with something revolved around another theme in the book besides basketball.

Sorry I'm not much help. Good luck!

Tynel said...

That would be a hard job. I can't imagine the pressure! You're amazing though so I'm sure you'll work it out!

Jason Gignac said...

How about H.O.R.S.E?
Joke...

Brittany said...

I think "One on One" is good. (Really!)

Although I think you could also reference the standard Utah Baby Naming Rules and see what you come up with. You can combine your name with Reasonable Doubt. "Marciable Doubtleson" sounds like a page turner. Think about it.

Amanda said...

Marcia, this has nothing to do with your post but i thought you might find it funny. One of the bands I follow - the singer is also an artist and designer and he's created a "death rock Obama" action figure. It's being sold on ebay (for far too much, really), but there are picture of it there: listing .

Runyan Gang said...

One on One does sound like the perfect title. What about a play on the word foul? http://www.answers.com/topic/foul