Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Santa Letters


I just finished The Santa Letters by Stacy Gooch-Anderson, a perfect read for this time of year. Emma Jensen and her four kids are approaching Christmas without William. William, Emma's husband, was killed by a hit-and-run driver the year before. While she tries to be brave for her children, Emma misses him greatly and is having a hard time with the approaching holiday.

Then, a mysterious letter and package arrive on their doorstep. It is signed from Santa Claus and each package has a letter with a message. The letters contain a message that expounds on important themes, such as family, forgiveness, and service. McKenna, the youngest daughter has faith that their father will be there for Christmas. With her faith, the Jensen family embraces the Santa letters with hope and enthusiasm. Each letter and package brings the family closer together and toward a path that will heal their hearts and leads them to forgiveness.

I enjoyed the messages that centered around the teachings of Jesus Christ. Forgiveness and service are major themes in the book and leave the reader with a greater desire to focus Christmas on His life and teachings.




On a side note, I met Stacy at the LDStorymakers Conference last year and realized that her cousin, Kim, is married to one of my husband's friends, Jim. Nolan knew Jim from when they served a mission in the Philippines. We used to hang out a lot with Jim and Kim when we lived in Ogden, UT. We used to go on motorcycle rides together and had a blast with them. It was fun to reconnect with them after all these years. What a small world.

4 comments:

Stacy G. Anderson said...

I;m glad you liked the story, Marsha! I hope you had a very Merry Christmas!

Stacy

Stacy G. Anderson said...

Whoops, sorry...I meant Marcia. I just got done reading Marsh Ward's blog too.

Stacy

Marcia Mickelson said...

Stacy, Yes I really enjoyed it. I hope the book sales and promoting are going well.

Bethany said...

It's always fun to reconnect with old friends. I just read a blurb somewhere about this book and was considering reading it. Now I'll have to go and get it.