Friday, January 2, 2009

Harry Potter. . . Finally


So, I've never read any of the Harry Potter books or seen any of the movies. At this point, I feel like the only person in the world who hasn't. I haven't ever been very interested in Young Adult books or fantasy. This last year, I finally gave YA a try and read several books. It all started with Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George which I reviewed in this post. I then read Book of A Thousand Days by Shannon Hale, Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine, and a few others. I found that I really liked YA and maybe a little fantasy too.


However, all the YA fantasy books I read and enjoyed involved female main characters. I just don't think I enjoy little boys as main characters. I have three sons and I absolutely love them and seeing their adventures, but I just don't want to read books about little boys. I know that sounds sexist or prejudice or whatever, but little boy books=no interest. I've tried a few, and I don't like them. Sorry.


My friend, Amanda, and I made a deal. If she reads Twilight, I'll read Harry Potter. When I first read Twilight, I didn't think I would like it. I was just reading it to see what the big deal was. Well, I really liked it and finished the series, so who knows maybe I'll like this whole Harry Potter thing after all.


My friend, Julie, lent me her copy and I'm going to read it this month. I'll let you know what I think about it. The rest of the series? We'll see. No promises there.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Good luck. Wish me luck on Twilight. :D

the letter Bee said...

Yay! I'm so excited for you to read HP! I had absolutely no interest in it or the whole fantasy genre but Que suggested I read HP1. I was hooked! (Although I was listening to them on CD in my car while I drove, which makes it slightly more entertaining. Jim Dale is the reader and he's AWESOME.)

Oh- speaking of books, I would love to include one or both of your books in a giveaway that I'm going to do on my blog next month. Would you be interested in donating a copy of one or both? I am going to do an all-book giveaway.

Julie said...

Go for it! Let us know either way - like or dislike. You'll only know after reading it, right?

licensed to touch said...

Even if you don't like book one, keep going. By book three, you'll be an addict! Book six is my personal fav.

Amanda said...

I agree with the previous comment. It's really book 3 that hooks you. And book 6 is wonderful! Those are my two favs.