Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A New Title

I just heard from my publisher that they've chosen a new title for my book that will be released in May. I entitled the manuscript One On One. The story is about Cara Jones and Mick Webber who are co-hosts of a local college basketball news show entitled One on One with Webber and Jones. There is some internal rivalry between Cara and Mick, which quickly develops to an attraction they both are determined to deny. During the course of the book, they do engage in a game of one-on-one basketball. I won't tell you who wins. So, that is where my title came from.

The publisher thought the title was too common a term and wanted a more original title. I put my brain to work and sent them a list of other titles. From the list, they chose the title Pick-up Games which is now my new title. I like this title a lot as well because it has that double meaning-- a pick-up game of basketball and picking up dates.

I'm happy with this new title and am excited to see what they will come up with for the cover in a few months. I guess I've been pretty lucky with titles. I was allowed to keep my original titles for both Star Shining Brightly and Reasonable Doubt. There had been some talk about changing Reasonable Doubt, but in the end they let me keep the title, and I was so glad about that.

Now, I'm just looking forward to May when Pick-up Games will be released.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

That's a really good title! I look forward to seeing the cover and reading the final product when it comes out.

the letter Bee said...

Oh I really like it! I can't wait!

The Bright Family said...

I can't wait either!! :)

kcwatson said...

I like it too...but I didn't think one on one was to common. May is the month, exciting!

licensed to touch said...

Congratulations! I'm excited for you. You are totally my hero! I want to be published just like you when I grow up. It's great to have at least one friend who understands the thrill of putting words on paper.

Julie said...

I'm super excited for you! I like it too! I'll start talking about it to people I know. I have both of your books on loan-out, right now. I also have a couple of people who have asked to borrow your books next as well. Isn't that the coolest - people are still reading and discovering your books? Hopefully, they'll end up buying your books or at least this next one, right? I know that this happened to one person so far at least. She read, loved and now owns it. Anyway, I'm cheering for you.

Annette Lyon said...

Congratulations!

Marcia Mickelson said...

Thanks for being excited for me, ladies!

Robin- Good luck with the writing. I've read on your blog how how you're plugging along on it. Keep going with it.

Liz said...

i'm so jumping on the "excited for you" bandwagon! congratulations marcia for another published work! i can't wait to read it!