Thursday, January 22, 2009

What I'm Reading Right Now


So, I started reading Harry Potter a few weeks ago. I read quickly, at first, but by Chapter 5 it slowed down for me. I'm still in the middle of Ch. 5 and will finish reading it. Everyone tells me it gets much better and I believe them. However, I think I'm putting it aside for a bit.

In church, I'm one of the leaders of the 12-13 year old girls and next month, we're doing a little book group. We're each picking any book to read and next month, we'll talk about our book with the others. I'm reading Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George. I'm loving this book. It's Young Adult. I read Dragon Slippers by the same author last year and loved it! I guess it's because the main character is a girl that I've taken to this book more so than Harry Potter. I know that sounds awful every time I say that, but it's true.


So, these two books will keep me busy the rest of the month. On February 9th, the finalists for the Whitney Awards will be announced. The Whitney Awards is an award given to LDS authors. This is the second year for the awards. As a member of LDStorymakers, I get to vote for the awards. So, once the finalists are announced, then I have to get busy reading so I can vote for which books I think are the best. That's a lot of reading to do and not much time. The awards are announced in April.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

There are three main characters in Harry Potter, and you haven't met the girl yet if you're in chapter 5. I love Hermione. She really made the books much less dull for me.

I finished Twilight today.

Marcia Mickelson said...

I'm sure I'll like Hermione. I just have to keep going. I will. Can't wait to hear what you say about Twilight.

Amanda said...

I'm about to write up my review. Did you see my question on my blog about Twilight today? I only have a couple readers on my blog that have read Twilight...