Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Books So Far

Here is a list of all the books I've written so far. Some of them will never be seen, but writing them helped me become a better writer, and so they served their purpose even though they'll just live on my hard drive forever with no place to go.



Higher Learning- I started this when I was 16 and had just bought my first computer. It was a bit autobiographical and really based on how I wanted my life to be. College, marriage, career, and babies prevented me from finishing this until more than 10 years later. When I finished it, I submitted it and then soon realized how awful it was. It's a good story, but the writing is so bad. So, I researched and learned how to write a novel.



As It Seems- I started writing this right after I realized that Higher Learning was no good. I knew I could do better. It is better. I still love the story, but the writing is not as good as it should be. One friend has read it and says she really likes it, but publishers didn't. It was rejected. It could take some major re-writes to make it publishable, but I don't know if I have it in me. I'd much rather write something new.



Star Shining Brightly- I wrote this one after As It Seems. My writing had improved, and I finally found a publisher. It was published in 2006



Reasonable Doubt- I wrote this at the same time I was writing the one below. They stories go together, and I kind of liked writing them together. I would take a break from one to write the other. I actually finished the one below first, but it actually takes place 5 years after this one. So, after I finished it, I had to put it aside to finish Reasonable Doubt which was published in 2007.



One On One (re-named Pick-Up Games)- I had a lot of fun writing this one. It's probably my favorite if I can really have one. There was a time in my life when I really loved and followed sports--before kids--and this one has such an emphasis on sports that I felt I was re-living that fun time.

Watching From the Sky (I'm re-naming this; I'm just not sure what)- I just finished this one this month. It's different from the others, and it's the most meaningful to me. I think my writing is so much better in this one than the others. (At least I hope.) It is still being edited and hopefully submitted soon.

As you can see, writing is a looong process. I started re-writing Higher Learning in 2002 and my first book didn't get published until 2006. If you're a writer and you're feeling discouraged about your manuscript, just keep writing. Your writing will get better. It's like anything, with practice, you improve.

4 comments:

Ericka Johnson said...

That is so cool Marcia. What an interesting process. I meant to talk to you today at church about our RS mini class but I was home with sick kids---again! I'll give you a call this week. I need to order your books!

Marcia Mickelson said...

Hi Ericka. Sorry to hear about sick kids. Bridget's been sick a long lately?

We were in San Antonio this weekend, so we weren't in church either. Call me anytime. I've been thinking about ideas for the class.

Taryn said...

I am super impressed. I have always dreamed of writing. I think that you are amazing.

Julie said...

This was so encouraging for me to read. You amaze me as a person, mother and a writer. I'm proud of all of your hard work and not giving up. Thanks for being just who you are!