Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Words I Hate

The other day, I saw a show advertised on TV called The Cougar. I hate that word--a cougar. I don't actually hate the word, I just hate what it "means" now. From my understanding, cougar is a woman who likes to date younger men. Why do they have to call them cougars? They're women, not cougars. So what if they like younger men? Some older men have liked dating younger women for years and years, why isn't there some special, derogatory name picked out for them?

Leave those women alone! Don't call them cougars. Whoever came up with that term took a perfectly great word--cougar (cool animal and BYU mascot) and ruined it!

While we're on the subject of terms that I hate, here's another one. I hate the term reverse discrimination. I've always hated it. The term had its heyday in the 90's, and I don't think it's used as much anymore. Thank goodness. The reason I hate it? I think that using the word reverse with it implies that discrimination should go a certain way and if it goes the other way, then it's the opposite of how it should be. Make sense?

So, those are two terms that I hate. I'm sure there are more if I sit and think about it. Maybe I'll post a part 2 sometime. Don't even get me started on how much I hate the word 'alien' to refer to immigrants. Hate it!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I've never heard that word for women. Weird.

I don't like "reverse discrimination" either. Irritates the heck out of me.

Brittany Marie said...

I hate the "cougar" thing too.

One phrase that really grates on me is "you people". It just comes across as so derrogatory and condescending.

Anonymous said...

I hate the words cougar and ma'am and of course "you guys" for mixed genders or females only.."you people" is fine..never minded it.