Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Harry Potter. . . Finally Part 2

So, my friend, Amanda, and I made a deal back in November. If she read Twilight, I would read Harry Potter. Amanda's read Twilight and New Moon months ago, and I've very slowly read Harry Potter. The last 30 pages have gone unread for almost a month. Tonight, I finally read those 30 pages and can finally say that I'm done. Sorry it took so long, Amanda. You'll probably never want to make a deal with me again.

Thanks Julie for lending me the book and sorry it took so long. So, the verdict? It was okay. I have no criticisms. I like Harry and his friends. For some reason, I just couldn't get into it. It didn't make me want to devour it. Many people have said that Book 1 is not the best and it gets better with Book 3 and so on. I believe them, but I don't think I'm in it for the long haul.

I've only recently started reading Young Adult. I love it. In the past 4 months, I've read almost only YA. But I like girly Young Adult books. I like princesses, fairies, fairy godmothers, young maidens that bring down evil empires, frogs that have to be kissed, princes who fall in love with the lowly girls, and girls who break evil curses. I devour those books. While I find no fault with Harry, I just couldn't get into it.

My friend, Kira, has lent me the first two movies. I for sure will watch them, and she said I could borrow the rest. So, I don't think I'll read the rest of the books, but I do think I will watch all the movies. Reading the books is just too much time to devote to something that doesn't grab me. I have too many other books I want to read. I know that I'll miss out on a lot of stuff that's in the books and not the movies.

After I watch all the movies, I'll just have to grab Erin, Julie, and Amanda and go to Cold Stone to let them fill me in on what I missed. And anyone else who wants to come. So, this weekend, I'll watch my very first Harry Potter movie. I know, it's weird that I've never even seen any of the movies.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Really, seriously, if you do end up enjoying movies 1 and 2, you should try to read book 3 before watching the movie. Books 1 and 2, when I reread, usually take me a week. Book 3 sucks me up and I can't stop for 2 days. Book 3 is where the series really gets good, and the movie plain sucks. They mess the whole thing up.

I understand if you can't get into it. I couldn't really get into Twilight, either. It was too girly for me, haha.

Marcia Mickelson said...

That's too bad that 3rd movie sucks.

At least we can both say we tried.